Monday, 31 July 2017

A Day in the Life - BST Hyde Park 2017

I was hoping to get this post up earlier than now but between work, being sick and going away, I've not had the time to sit down and write it. Three weeks ago, my friend Abi and I went to the final day of British Summer Time in Hyde Park, London. Anyone who knows me will know how much I love music and I thought I'd write a mini day in the life/review post for anyone thinking of going to the festival next year!

The final day of the festival was being headlined by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, with special guests Stevie Nicks, The Lumineers and Tyler Bryant & the Shakedown among many other talented musicians. Abi is a big fan of Stevie Nicks (she even tried to name her family dog after her) and I would put Tom Petty in my Top 5 of all-time, so understandably we jumped at the chance to book tickets.  

The festival is held within Hyde Park, the largest of London's Royal Parks.  It's a pretty nice place to hang out in the summer and it turns out it makes a pretty good music venue too. We purchased general admission tickets which let you in to the festival from 1:00pm. Before getting to the festival, I downloaded the official BST app to see the schedule for the day.  This turned out to be super handy as with the different stages, it helped us plan our day. 

As the weather was surprisingly beaut for England in the summer, we decided to grab some typical festival snacks (that's a lie; we had cherries, water and M&S sour cream & jalapeno crisps) and sit by the Great Oak stage listening to the music.  I'm going to be honest... I went to the festival for Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks, so I wasn't really aware of a lot of the bands who were playing, but I really enjoyed sitting in the sun, hearing some new music and enjoying the atmosphere. 



There were a lot of amazing food and drink options on offer but for lunch, we decided to have Mac 'n' Cheese (there was no contest really, I love the stuff) and popped to The Mac Factory's stall.  I had their Posh Spice; chorizo, harissa and caramelised onion and it was hands down the best Mac 'n' Cheese I have ever tasted.  I am considering going to London for the day just to have a portion, it was that good.  There was also a stall handing out free cans of Coke Zero! Considering most festivals always seem to be full of money-grabbing brands who charge a small fortune for a drink, this was such a nice idea. 

One of the bands I wasn't familiar with was Tyler Bryant & the Shakedown; they are a rock and roll band from Nashville TN and I'm so glad we caught some of their set.  They were so grateful to be on the same bill as Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and you could really tell how much they love playing music.  I've been having a listen to them on Spotify and if you are into rock, I'd recommend checking them out.

Before the headline act, we had the amazing Stevie Nicks.  It almost felt surreal seeing her perform, especially when she sang Dreams and Landslide, I think because she is one of those singers that I never thought I would see live. Her set was incredible and the crowd adored her. My Dad is a fan of Fleetwood Mac, especially the Rumours era, and I really hope I can get tickets to their 2018 tour as I know how much he would love to see them live! 

One of my favourite things about live music is seeing a crowd go wild for a band.  The atmosphere at BST as Tom Petty took to the stage was so amazing and I will probably remember that excitement for a very long time...


A life highlight has to be Stevie Nicks joining Tom Petty on stage to perform Stop Draggin' My Heart Around. I think I actually jumped up and down with excitement. This particular weekend marked the start of me being ill for over a week but despite this, I still had the best time and Tom Petty's set was one of my favourite music related experiences ever.  I have wanted to see Tom Petty live for a long time and this was my first, and quite possibly only, chance to and I'm so happy I forced my poorly self out of the house and to London.  Singing along to I Won't Back Down with the crowd was one of my best moments of 2017 so far.  I'm not sure if I can put in to words how seeing Tom Petty live made me feel, but Tyler Bryant described the day perfectly - "Today is a bucket list day" 

The festival was so well organised and was probably the nicest outdoor music festival I have been to. Everyone was there for the same reason; to spend time with their friends and enjoy the good music.  There was no drama, no drunken fights; everyone just wanted to have a good time. I'm excited to find out who is playing BST Hyde Park 2018 as I'd love to go again! 

Have you been to any festivals this summer? What music are you listening to at the moment? 

I would love if you followed me on Instagram, Twitter & Bloglovin

Thanks for stopping by, 

Nai xoxo 
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Sounds such a great event, mac n cheese looks YUM. Thank you for sharing, I love your post, waiting for the next one!!!

    xxx

    www.bridesonamission.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still dreaming about that mac and cheese!
      Thank you! xo

      Delete
  2. Aww i'm so gutted I couldn't go to this!! Sounds like you had a fab time.. I really wanna see Stevie Nicks live at least once!! xx

    Ronnie // www.veronicabizzarri.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was incredible! Rumour has it she is going to be doing a tour with Fleetwood Mac next year and I'm gonna be first in the queue for tickets! xo

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had an absolutely amazing time and I love all the pictures you got! The atmosphere is always amazing at festivals xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! It was a fab day, hoping to go again next year! xo

      Delete

© Oh Six Eleven. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig